Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday morning

Hello Families!

Thanks for your patience as we got settled into our 'home'. We are all set up at New Beginnings Church. This is where we will spend the next week. The pastor and his wife were there to greet us and they are taking good care of us!

Saturday:
The travel was great. Things went very smoothly and as I mentioned, we made good time so had an unexpected stop to Navy Pier to enjoy the lake and walk the pier. Our dinner at Giordano's was excellent. Chicago deep dish is filling! We ended that day at the Sunshine Gospel Ministries office where we spent the night. Sarah from Sunshine, gave us a tour of the space. It was fun to see that last year's work project has been completed and to know that our church had a part in building affordable housing for people in the neighborhood.

Sunday:
We were up early and your kids were amazing. Everyone was ready on time. This is no small feat with 42 people and 3 showers! We attended Christ Bible Church here on the South side. Some comments from your students about the service:
"so much joy in their worship"
"so welcoming and inviting"
"they made us feel that they cared that we were there"
"solid teaching"
"encouraging"
We enjoyed a father's day message and our 3 fathers on the trip received father's day hats! picture to follow :)
After church we headed downtown for our "tourist day". We started at Millenium Park and worked our way by the Bean, the fountains and the lake. We had lunch by the river and then took a water taxi to the Willis (Sears) tower. We challenged the students to end our tour day enjoying the views but also to take some time with the Lord and ask him to give us a heart for this city. It was really fun and really special to end our time bridging the two experiences. A great way to change our mindset to start our work projects.
After the Willis, we went to Joel's home for dinner. Joel is the director for Sunshine. Our bus driver, Bob, shared a song on his accordian, yep, based on John 3:16 as an encouragement to all of us.
We are joining with a small group from Tennesse. They have 3 leaders and 5 students and are easy to be with and ready to make friends so that is another fun opportunity for our kids to reach out.
We ended the night moving into our new home, New Beginnings. Joel gave us an orientation - discussing safety (we are very safe and the kids feel safe), Sunshine and it's ministry partners. The students did ice breakers while the leaders met. Then Joel ended our time with his first lesson on God's heart for the poor. He spoke from Psalm 113 and it was a great start and focus for all that God is going to reveal to us this week. One highlight from that talk: if you have a passion for the poor or justice or racial reconciliation or any social justice type issue, but you lose your faith, you will not be able to make a difference. It is God that can sustain us when we dive into these difficult challenges. He calls us to it, and he sustains us. A good word!

Monday:
Today they head off for their first day on their work teams. I have listed below what team each student is on so you can pray specifically. It is rainy today - warm but rainy so we ask for prayers for a little sun so we can accomplish the tasks and that kids in the neighborhoods will come out to the camps.

Gardening/Service: Maddie, Elle, Kristin H, Jack, Garret, Taylor S, Camrie, Laurel, HaileySue, Joe, Madison, Brooke, Kari H., Sara G, Erik and Eric
Work Crew: Austin, Cobi, Josh, Cole and Dean
Children Neighborhood VBS: Patrick, Jake, Taylor H, Sami, Mari, Chris
New Beginnings Kids Camp: Tristy, Sydney, Audrey, Tyler, Bea
Sports Kids Camp: Laura, Kirstin K, Lucas, Natalie, Alec, Buddy, Dan, Kari N, Alayne

Thanks for your prayers. Feel free to leave short comments and I will share them as an encouragement with our team.

We were thinking of you all on Father's day! You are so important to all of us! Check out the notes below...If you don't see your kid, look for it tomorrow!

Bill Lemmer - Hop you have fun in London. Love you and see you in 2 weeks!

Taylor S - Happy Father's Day!! I love you so much! I could not have asked for a better dad to adopt me!

Sydney D - Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you lots! Thank you so much for everything! I am so glad I have you as a father. Love always.

John Youngquist = Thank you for being such a great example and trying to understand my crazy girly-ness. I love you.

Daniel - Hey Daddy, I love you!

Garret - Have a great day!

Dan Grady - Happy Father's Day. I love you!

Taylor H. - Happy Father's Day Dad! You're the best! I love you!

Laura Cross - Happy Father's Day Dad/Dave! You're the greatest! love you guys!

Tyler - Hey Dad, Sorry I missed it but Happy Father's Day! I love you!

Patrick - Hey Dad, thanks for seeing me off, love you.

Josh - Dad, thanks for truly guiding us in the way of the Lord. I am truly grateful for all of the sacrifices you have done for me.

Buddy - Salutations. Jim, you are such a great father to your children, including me. I love you Jim. Buddy. PS Remember you have a father too. Hebrews 12:5-13

Austin - I love you Dad, thanks for all the support. Happy Father's Day!

Alec - Hi DADDY! do the lights work? oh by the way. love you.

Cobi - I love my Dad.

Madison - I love you Dad! Thank you for everything.

Tristy - Daddy-O. I love you so much! There isn't one thing you can't fix. You are the coolest of cool. Don't tell Lars. Love Squirtle.

Jack - Happy Father's Day Dad! You're a great dad! Love you!

Maddie - Happy Father's Day Daddy! I love you sooo much! Hope you had a good day! Love, Shnipy

Natalie - Happy Father's Day Dad! You're the best dad I could ever ask for! Thanks for everything! I love you very much! See you soon.

Brooke - Thank you for always protecting me, caring for me, and loving me through everything! You mean everything to me and I am so blessed to have you in my life! Happy Father's Day! I love you!

Kristin H. - Happy Father's Day Pa! I love you so so much! Hope you had a good time at Olive Garden! Love!

Joseph - Love you dad. You're my hero.

Kristin K - Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you so much! Thank you for all you do! I hope you got to see Greg, Joel and Kayla today!

Mari - Hi Daddy! I miss you and I love you BUNCHES! You are THE BEST dad out there and you are a super great influence and a person I will always look up to! U DA BOMB! I love you.

Jake - Dad. We drove through the tunnel from the fugitive! Happy Father's Day and thanks for the direction.

Whew! Love and Blessings on you. More tomorrow!

2 comments:

Mia said...

Thank you for the updates and detailed notes - thinking of each of you and will be the entire week. Mia Mulrennan. P.S.: Have fun with those kids, Sydney! Love, Mom

Tristy's Mom said...

It was great to read the updates so far! I hope you all have a great day today, filled with lots of wonderful connections!

P.S. Tristy, have fun working at VBS--how fun! I'll have dad read your Father's Day message ;)

Love, Mom